Friday, April 4, 2014

What's up with this thinking ?

First, when did it become okay for a husband to tell his wife he doesn't approve of her having friends, but he can go out drinking with his friends whenever he feels like it ?  When did it become okay for a wife to have to ask her husband "permission" to order a $25 cake for her kid's birthday ?  When did it become okay for a husband to spout the Bible to his wife one moment about a "wife's role," but then stick his dick in another woman ?  When did it become okay for a husband to visit a strip club and then come unglued when his wife says Derek Jeter is "cute" ?

Friends, I've never claimed perfection, and Cathy would probably vouch for my imperfections.  Never once, though, in our relationship, have I regarded her as anything less than my equal, my partner, and my best friend.  I'm not saying that we have the secret to happiness; we have found our version of it, I think, and it works for us.

I'm not ashamed to be a man at all, but I am very ashamed of what I see/hear men do in the name of the "I'm the man" line of thinking.  Having a dick doesn't make you right, smart, or even entitled to run your partner's life.  It makes you (if you're capable) of making a baby.  Period. 

Women, don't settle for someone that doesn't do it for you in everyway.  Sex is easy; lesser mammals do it without thinking about it.  If he doesn't stimulate your mind first, the rest won't be so great.  Men, don't be assholes - she's not there to serve you.  She might not mind it if you view her as an equal, but treat her as a slave and you might well see a revolt.  Better yet, serve her outside of the bedroom; make her a coffee, do some laundry and a load of dishes.

It's compromise, and it's what's broken in relationships and politics.  Fix it, and the world will be better - promise !

1 comment: